Monday, February 25, 2008

Razzing an Opponent

I have been just taking things very easy on FTP recently. Slowly building my bankroll on there. So far - so good. I have gotten my roll back to almost $300 on a $50 deposit playing micro limit games and SNGs, and I have started stockpiling $26 tokens for my next trip to NJ for business. Needless to say, evenings in West Orange, NJ mainly consist of me eating room service, drinking Dew and playing FTP. I want at least 5 tokens ready to go so I can play the nightly Razz tourney every night (08:15PM). After that I will start stockpiling tokens for the nightly PLO tourney (09:15PM). And then I will try for 5 more for the nightly Limit Hold 'Em tourney (07:15PM). I try not to start any big tournaments later than the 9:15 while I am gone, simply because I have to be in the office early each morning and I don't want to be up until 4:15 playing the HORSE or O8OB guarantees, as they tend to last a long time. I have to sit through many meetings during these trips, and the last thing I want is to fall asleep in the middle of one. Funny story for another time about a bid defense meeting I flew to London to attend - I will have to remember to share that later.

Anyway, last night I had already had a pretty good day, and then I got online again that night and started playing $1/$2 Heads-Up Razz. This guy was really bad. And then this hand happened:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2161807

Now call me jaded, but I just thought the entire way the hand played out (plus a previous hand two hands earlier where the same thing played out and my 9 lo beat his 10 lo) it was obvious all the way down that I needed to stay, and by the end I was pot committed. Especially considering what I was putting him on. Since I play these low-level Razz games alot, it just seemed second nature to me. Well, this set off a chat session which went as follows over the next 17 hands:

b1j23: lol
b1j23: what a idiot
JZs72ndProblem: funny
JZs72ndProblem: so obvious
b1j23: u stay broke dont u?
JZs72ndProblem: no - fish like you keep me fed good
b1j23: yea i can tell by way u play
JZs72ndProblem: play all of the time - more than welcome to take it back whenever you feel like you can
b1j23: im here every day only seen u a few times
JZs72ndProblem: i play almost every day too - but I play everything
JZs72ndProblem: not just razz
b1j23: wana up da limit?

This is every good player's dream. A complete fish who thinks he knows what he is doing when he has minimal knowledge of the game he is playing asks to raise the stakes while he is tilting. It actually feels a little dirty. The convo continues:

JZs72ndProblem: 3-6?
b1j23: 510
JZs72ndProblem: waiting

I had signed up for a $5/$10 HU table as fast as I could, and he did not dissappoint me. Let's just say his demeanor changed just a bit after a few hands at $5/$10. Here are all of the hands of this session (all 14 of them - minus the hands that did not get past 3rd street, which pokerhand.org will not let you upload).

First Four Hands: I fold on 3rd the first two hands (including one bring-in by him when we both had Q's showing, but I had QJ buried as well); then he folds after bringing-it the next two hands. I am now up $1.50

Hand 5:
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2165548
(Profit $7.00; Total rake $0.50)

Hand 6 I take on 3rd (Profit $9.50; Total Rake $0.50)

Hand 7:
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2165574
(Profit $12.00; Total rake = $0.50)

Hand 8 he takes (his next to last last pot of the session) when I bring it in and fold. (Profit $9.50; Total Rake $0.50)

Hand 9 he folds when I bring it in. (Profit $10.50; Total Rake $0.50)

Hand 10:
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2165595
(Profit $13.00; Total Rake $0.50)

Hand 11 he wins when I bring it in. (Profit $10.50; Total Rake $0.50)

Hand 12 (the smackdown starts):
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2165617
I actually screw up 6th street here, but at the same time I like to keep him guessing. A check would look fishy, and I think the same result occurs here. Plus, now he has no hole card information for me. Little did I know the match was going to be over 2 hands later.
(Profit $31.00; Total Rake $1.00)

Hand 13 (the humiliation):
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2165992
Is there anything better than someone calling you all the way down with a K9K showing? Absolutely nothing better than having the nuts on the end and still getting called. What a rush.
(Profit $68.00; Total Rake $1.50)

Hand 14 (the smackdown abruptly ends):
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2166026
Just a fitting way to end this guy's day. And mine as well. Ship It.
Final Tally:
- Profit = $98.00
- Rake = $2.00 (not a bad ratio)

14 hands (I take the pot in 10 of those, and the four he took never went past 3rd). Life was very good that evening. And I will be looking for this guy again!!! You should too.

Steak

No comments: