Monday, December 17, 2007

Road to Event 26, Day 4

A little rougher road today. I had a feeling today was going to be one of those days. It was a little bit of a roller coaster to say the least. So to start with, I sat down at a $2/$4 Heads-Up Razz table. Someone was already sitting there. The guy who was sitting there did not automatically ante, and 2 seconds later he sits out. He sits there for awhile. It was not an issue of him timing out and not being at his computer. He just did not want to play me. I did not recognize the name. So either this guy decided he did not want to play, or he did not want to play me. I don't know why - it is not like I have made a name for myself as an unplayable guy. Far from it. Anyway - he sat there for awhile, and I was not leaving. If by the off chance he was trying to avoid me, I was going to make him wait forever at that table. So while I was sitting there I went over to a 6-handed $2/$4 LHE table. I played there for all of 6 minutes, and got up $13.00. The reason I left was that while I was playing, the first guy left the heads-up Razz table, and someone else sat down to play. I wanted to concentrate on the Razz table (it is much harder to play multiple Razz tables - or any Stud table - than it is for any flop game due to all of the exposed cards you need to be paying attention to before they are folded). So I quit the LHE game and move over. I start rolling over this guy, and I almost hit my goal right away. Then I go cold - the dude calls me down with 9-8 lo hands, and gets ahead of me. We play for a total of 7 minutes, and the second he pulls back ahead of me he bolts. It is a little annoying, but at the same time I understand the move. I am sure he is not on the same kind of path I am on, but when you are outmatched and you get lucky to get back to even or ahead, why press your luck? :)

Anyway, so I lose $7.90 in that session, and now I am only up $5.10. So, what better way to get ahead than to play yet a whole another game. So I went to a $2/$4 6-handed Omaha 8OB table. I start off good. Then I went downhill fast. I played horribly. I had nut lo hands counterfeited on the river. I end up with 2 best hands both ways in many hands and lose. I am such a donk. Oh well. I donk off my entire $40 buy-in after playing for 35 minutes). But then the light at the end of the tunnel.

Dejected I leave the table. As I close the window for the table, I see the little pop-up: "We have released $20 of your Bonus." I know it is not exactly the same thing, but I will take it nevertheless. So thanks to that bonus money, I am now down only $14.90 for the day (instead of down $34.90).

So I head back over to the Razz tables. I think the earlier bad run at Razz was a fluke, and I decide to sit down at an almost full 8-handed $3/$6 Razz table. Good choice. Here is my first hand:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1820461

Granted, I was going out on a limb on 4th street for this one. I started with a Q buried. And then I pair up top on 4th. But I paired a deuce. He hit a T. If my undercards were as strong as I represented them to be, a pair of deuces is still a slight favorite versus someone who is drawing to a T lo. When he catches the A on 5th, but I catch another wheel card, I feel justified in seeing one more card. Now when he catches the J on 6th, giving him two broadway cards up top, my board all of the sudden looks good with A223. When he checks, I attempt to bluff him off the hand and take it down right there. Of course, he was having none of it and called along, with the pot too big to fold with his draw. I was hoping that the A had actually paired him and that he was in bad shape. Luckily, I nail a 6 lo on the river, bet it, and get raised. I am thinking - this is pretty horrible luck if I catch what I perceive to be a miracle card on the end, only for him to hit a wheel or nut 6 on the river, so I just call. Turns out he has a nut 7, and I nail a relatively huge pot (he was the one who caught the bad "miracle" card). I play for a total of 4 minutes, profit $49 from it, and exceed my goal for the day by a whopping $2.10. I play and lose the $8.70 token tourney, and I am now done. All of this roller coaster ride lasts exactly 59 minutes, and I am done for the day.

***UPDATE*** I decided to play with my extra $2 winnings in a $0.05/$0.10 table, and was doing good until I lost my buy-in when I flopped a flush, only to be outkicked by another flopped flush. Oh well. So the totals down below have been updated accordingly.***

I have decided that I am going to wait and play my token tournaments later in the day, if possible, instead of right after I hit my daily goal. First, it spreads my poker time out a little bit. Secondly, I am usually pretty happy about meeting my goal that I am not as focused when playing the token tournaments as I should be. So from now, I will try and wait at least an hour or more before playing. I think that will be the best idea for me at this time. I got lucky today, as I dodged a bullet playing so badly in O8OB. Tomorrow I will need to play better from the beginning to be able to make my goal. I only have so much luck that I can cash in during my journey these next 6 months. There are still 176 more days of playing to go.

Daily Profit: +$32.10
Daily WSOP Profit: +$12.60
Daily Personal Profit: +$11.50
Daily Token Sat Profit: +$9.00
WSOP Goal at this point: $46.00
WSOP Money earned to this point: $64.50
Relative to Goal at this point: +$18.50

Steak

No comments: